TIPS & TECHNIQUES
If you are new to watercolor, these short free videos will help you feel more familiar with the medium. These and other painting techniques will be covered again and again in the online lessons, until (with practice) they become second nature to you.
Remember: Enjoy the process, no matter the results! Results come in time and with practice. The process and experience is every bit as important as the results. Treat yourself to some creative time! It will strengthen you and stir good things in your heart!
PAINT ALONG WITH ME
SETTING UP YOUR PALETTE
SETTING UP YOUR WORKSTATION
A FEW TIPS
A FEW TRICKS
• Minimum 12-color set of paints in tubes (not pan paints)
My favorite brands are Daniel Smith, Holbein, and Winsor & Newton. If you’re buying individual tubes instead of a set, these colors are good:
Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Cadmium Red, Cadmium Yellow,
Lemon Yellow, Cerulean Blue, Cobalt Blue, French Ultramarine Blue, Permanent Rose, Pthalo Blue, Alizarin Crimson, Raw Sienna, Raw Umber, Sap Green, Hooker’s Green, Virdian, Indigo, Gamboge, Cadmium Orange, Paynes Gray, Opera, Neutral Tint, Cobalt Teal, Undersea Green.
• Watercolor paper (at least 10” x 14” in size) 140# cold pressed
My favorite brands are Arches, Fabriano Artistico and Kilimanjaro
• Watercolor brushes (natural/synthetic blend or all natural in a variety of sizes. I like Silver Brush Black Velvet brand), No. 8 round, No. 12 round, No. 16 round, ¾” square wash (or flat), No. 4 script liner (or rigger brush), ¾” oval wash (or cat’s tongue)
• Brush holder (to protect your brushes)
Palette with a cover and at least 15 wells for paint (I like John Pike’s palette or Cheap Joe’s Piggyback palette)
• Water container
• Plexiglass to support your painting, cut about four inches larger in both directions than the size of your paper
• Color wheel
• Artist’s tape (or masking tape), pencil, white plastic eraser, kneaded eraser
• Cellulose sponge, Viva paper towels, tiny misting spray bottle, apron/old shirt to protect your clothing
• Table top easel (optional)
• Bright workstation lamp